The Highlands of Navesink, rising 200 feet above sea level, were a natural location for the erection of an aid to navigation. TheHighlands had been used
for signalling purposes as early as 1746. (Click here for John Hamilton's letter regarding the accidental lighting of the beacon at the Highlands of
Navesink during the War of Austrian Succession, 1746.), but it wasn't until 1828, that the Federal Government constructed the first aid to navigation upon
the Highlands. The first "twin lights" were two identical unconnected towers constructed of rubble. Just 10 years after their construction an 1838 report
described the station:
Highlands of Neversink.--The revolving light burns fifteen lamps, with parabolic reflectors; the works slightly out of repair; the window-sills and many of the
beams rotten; silver burnt off the reflectors. The Highland stationary light burns six lamps with parabolic reflectors; the beams under the floors rotten;
tower leaks in many placed; the light shows badly towards the north. Keeper's dwelling in good repair.
Despite their condition, in 1841, the towers became the first lighthouses in the United States to be equipped with Fresnel lens. The Frensel lens was
invented by a frenchman, Augustin Fresnel, and consisted of a beehive arrangement of glass prisms designed to concentrate ambient light. The system
of prisms produced a light vastly superior to anything in this country at the time. (Click here for Excerpts from Stephen Pleasonton's letter regarding the
installation of the First Fresnel lens in the United States in the Navesink Twin Lights.
By 1862 however, the lighthouses were in such a state of disrepair that the Government decided to build the structure which still stands today. The two
light towers were connected by storage galleries and keepers quarters. The station became a showcase for the Lighthouse Establishment, where new
navigational technology was tested before being employed in widespread use at other stations. Twin Lights became the initial first-order light to be fueled
by mineral oil (kerosene) in 1883, and the first electrically powered lighthouse in 1898, when a huge bi-valve lens was installed in the south tower
illuminated by an electric arc lamp. At that time, the south tower became the most powerful lighthouse in the country, producing a light of 25,000,000
candle-power that could be seen 22 miles at sea, though there were reports of it having been seen as far away as 70 miles when the light was reflected
off a low lying cloud bank.The light-station was used until it was decommissoned by the Coast Guard in 1949. Highly sophisticated aids to navigation,
including the Ambrose Light-tower, made Twin Lights unnecessary. The huge bivalve lens was acquired by the Boston Museum of Science and
Technology from the Coast Guard in 1951, and placed on exhibit there.
In 1960, the facility became a New Jersey State Historic site. In 1979, through the efforts of the Twin Lights Historical Society, Rumson Garden Club, and
NJ Division of Parks and Forestry, the Fresnel lens was returned home to Twin Lights.
Today, the museum features well-interpreted exhibits of lighthouse, Life-Saving Service and other memorabilia. For more information call, (732) 872-1814